[jcifs] jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Connection timeout

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jul 25 03:04:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:25:56 -0700
Praveen Tammana <praveen.public at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > What could be the problem here?  Any help is much appreciated.
> >
> > Did you set jcifs.netbios.wins?
>
> No I did not and setting it didn't make a difference either (I
> shouldn't need it since I gave an explicit ip address, right?).  I

Right - if you're only using an IP or DNS name you don't need to set WINS.

> did, however, find the problem.  I needed to set
> jcifs.smb.client.laddr to the ip of the interface.  I too have a case
> of 2 network cards and it must have been using the wrong one by
> default.

With two NICs there's a 50/50 chance you need to set laddr.  Recently
there was also a problem reported where if your local hostname is not
resolvable by DNS (see FAQ) the four parameter Socket constructor we're
using can choke with an exception but from what you've showed me I don't
think this applies to you.