[jcifs] Absence of 'automagical' WINS server resolution in jcifs when compared to smb/nmb/winbind

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Jul 23 21:28:01 GMT 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:57:02 -0400
Enrique Rodriguez <enriquer9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > Other than having a samba.org domain name JCIFS and Samba are
> > totally unrelated and do not interoperate at all outside of the CIFS
> > protocol. JCIFS runs on any machine that supports Sun's Java which is not
> > limited to OS's that run Samba so any kind of searching through Samba's
> > configs has no place in the standard JCIFS package. This is by design
> > and there are no plans to change this in the future.
>
> Hi, Mike,
>
> Have you ever thought about moving jCIFS to an open source organization
> such as Apache or Safehaus?  After I wrote my Kerberos server I realized
> it made way more sense to combine it with the Apache Directory project
> and I've never looked back.  Since then, I've worked to found Safehaus,
> to provide an organization focused on security projects.  Besides the
> higher visibility, the infrastructure is better.  In particular it would
> be nice to use the Confluence "enterprise wiki" system we're using to
> put together documentation that combines Kerberos, SPNEGO, jCIFS, etc.
> I've just started doing my Apache Kerberos/Windows AD interop doco on
> the Safehaus Confluence installation.  I think it will help more people
> interoperate with Java and Windows.

Possible. But right at the moment I'm not working on jCIFS enough to
make it worth while. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Incedentially I've started to develop JAAS infrastructure for Windows
integration (actually did this a while ago and stopped to do other
things) in the form of a WindowsLoginModule. Currently it just gets
the dom/user/pass from the usual places and adds a WindowsPrincipal
and Ntlm1Credential but once I get extended security going I plan to
have kerberos credentials.

So natrually I'm wondering if we should be coordinating a little
here. We've both developed our own ASN1 and SPNEGO code and probably
some form of WindowsPrincipal. I guess I shouldn't bother to mention
this until I'm ready to release some code but I thought I'd mention it.

Later,