[jcifs] Re: jCIFS, non encrypted password and Samba 3 failure

Fabrice Jammes fjammes at univ-paris1.fr
Wed Jul 6 16:16:02 GMT 2005

Michael B Allen wrote:

>>jcifs-1.2.1.jar doesn't seem to work.
>

> I'm not sure what the correct behavior should be. Later versions of Samba
> 3 negotiate Unicode but apparently it doesn't like the "plain text"
> password in Unicode.
>
> You can work around this by also setting useUnicode = false. So all
> properties you need might look like the following:
>
> jcifs.smb.client.domain=dom
> jcifs.smb.client.username=name
> jcifs.smb.client.password=pass
> jcifs.netbios.wins=1.2.3.4
> jcifs.smb.client.useUnicode = false
> jcifs.smb.client.disablePlainTextPasswords = false
>
> If you can get a capture of XP communicating with Samba 3 we can determine
> how plain text passwords should be encoded when Unicode is negotiated. I
> can't do it here at work because currently my XP workstation will simply
> refuse to negotiate plain text passwords. I would have to mess with my
> security policy which isn't ideal in my current env.
>
> Mike

In fact jCIFS works with useUnicode = false, but as i'm french i need to
work with accent and they are not supported.

On Windows XP clients, we have patched registry and authentication with
plaintext password work fine, and accent displaying is OK. Same thing
with smbclient.

I try List.java with

	Config.setProperty("jcifs.smb.client.useUnicode", "false");
	Config.setProperty("jcifs.encoding", "UTF8");

or with ISO8859_1
or ISO8859_15_FDIS

and the accents don't appear or appear like "?"

Here are the charset setting on the server (smb.conf) :

dos charset = 850
unix charset = ISO-8859-15
display charset = ISO-8859-15