[jcifs] jCIFS, non encrypted password and Samba 3 failure

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Jul 5 23:24:59 GMT 2005

Fabrice Jammes said:
>>>jCIFS doesn't seem to work with Samba 3 with [plain text passwords].
>
> jcifs-1.2.1.jar doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure what the correct behavior should be. Later versions of Samba
3 negotiate Unicode but apparently it doesn't like the "plain text"
password in Unicode.

You can work around this by also setting useUnicode = false. So all
properties you need might look like the following:

jcifs.smb.client.domain=dom
jcifs.smb.client.username=name
jcifs.smb.client.password=pass
jcifs.netbios.wins=1.2.3.4
jcifs.smb.client.useUnicode = false
jcifs.smb.client.disablePlainTextPasswords = false

If you can get a capture of XP communicating with Samba 3 we can determine
how plain text passwords should be encoded when Unicode is negotiated. I
can't do it here at work because currently my XP workstation will simply
refuse to negotiate plain text passwords. I would have to mess with my
security policy which isn't ideal in my current env.