[jcifs] Problem with JCIFS NTLM Authentication for HTTP Connections

Doan, Thi-My-Chi thi-my-chi.doan at hp.com
Tue Jan 18 08:24:56 GMT 2005

Hi Mike,

Sorry, the wording I used may be unclear. We have a web application,
which can be accessed

1) By web browser or
2) By a Java application via servlet.

I'm looking a way to authenticate users from both. The only way I found
is to use the login page to ask WebLogic server to authenticate the user
and to add appropriate roles, groups to that user by using my own
authentication provider. Actually, this authenticator does not need to
verify user login and password, as this already done by jCIFS filter as
soon as user accessing the login page.

Using web browser, user has to click on the login button in the login
page, but they don't need to enter login and password.
>From Java application, users has to enter their NT login and password,
which then be sent to /j_security_check.

1) Is it the right approach?
2) Is it safe what I try to do?

I think there must be a more elegant solution for that, but I couldn't
find it.

Jason, you told you are able to ask WebLogic to authenticate user with
jCIFS. How did you do that?

Thanks a lot for all your feedback
Cheers
My Chi