[jcifs] Problem with guest user access

Eric Rotick pc.greenus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:10:48 GMT 2005

I have been using jcifs for some time and everything has been working
OK. I have recently started a project which requires plain text access
to a very old Samba server (1.9.16p9) and authentication stopped
working.

I added the jcifs.smb.client.disablePlainTextPasswords=false and
started to debug. I've noticed that if the share is guest enabled then
jcifs expects the username to be guest. This allows the smb part to
authenticate but then the Unix side fails as it's the wrong username.
I've asked the Unix/Samba admin to change this but he says it will
break other things.

I've now changed the code in version 1.1.6 SmbSession line 288 and
commented out the bit which checks for the username == quest. Now
everything works OK.

I can see from the changelog that there have been some issues with
guest access but I;m not sure of the current status. Certainly the
current situation won't work for me.

Have I missed something?