[jcifs] NTLM filter

Richard Caper rcaper at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 16:31:02 GMT 2005

This code (or similar) has been floating around on message boards for
years, and is really crap:

1) It doesn't actually authenticate anything.  It just takes whatever
the client sends, parses out username information, and uses that.  The
user can set their options in Internet Explorer to always prompt for
authentication (or use Firefox or another browser that prompts) and
whatever username they specify will come across as the user.  It
doesn't check that they actually are that person (which is the whole
point), so is useless for authentication to a system.  To actually
authenticate the user, you need to pass the challenge and response
between the client and a domain controller (which is what jCIFS does).

2) It hardcodes all the NTLM options, which are supposed to be
negotiated between the client and server.  This will cause
inconsistent behavior across various clients, servers, etc. (which is
almost certainly what you are seeing).  Basically the reason it's not
working is there are (at least) dozens of combinations of flag
settings that can be negotiated between the client and server, and
you're just hardcoding one single permutation.