[jcifs] Issues getting resources using "smb://" URL

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Aug 18 01:09:16 GMT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:58:51 -0700
"Eric Newman" <eric at intapp.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did some more research and observed what you were describing.  When a
> certain machine was chosen by LMB (one which has access to the network), it
> would work; but when a different machine was chosen (one which did not have
> access to the network), it would not work.
>
> Do you know if I have any control (via using jcifs) over how to influence
> which machine is chosen by the LMB?

You can specifiy a specific LMB with the SERVER query string parameter like:

  smb://?SERVER=1.2.3.4
  smb://somegroup/?SERVER=1.2.3.4

But of course you must know the IP (or I think this can be a DNS name too) of the specific server you want to query and considering the LMB can change at any time this isn't terribly useful.