[jcifs] Getting Switch IP address and port number

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Aug 7 04:21:35 GMT 2005

High-end switches will have management features (ssh login, snmp support,
etc.).  These features require that there be a controll unit inside the
switch that has its own IP address.  Low end devices, like home routers
and such, may also have an IP address assigned so that you can get to
their management features.  As Justin points out, however, there's no
reason that a simple switch would need to have an IP address assigned.

...and this is really off-topic for the jCIFS list.  :)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org