[jcifs] Getting Switch IP address and port number

Justin Mahoney JMahoney at ditech.com
Fri Aug 5 16:28:26 GMT 2005

The switch probably does not have an IP address, unless it is actually a
router. To find out, just run a tracert ('traceroute' on *nix) from your
desktop machine to the server. It will list all nodes with assigned IP
numbers that are visited along the path from your desktop to the server.

Why would you need to know the "port number of the switch?" It is very
unlikely you would be able to discover that information without simply
looking at the physical switch hardware itself. Do you mean the TCP port
number of the connection?

If you are simply trying to confirm which switch port the desktop is plugged
into, take your best guess, unplug a cable from the switch, and go back to
the desktop to verify that the connection lights on the network card have
gone out. Then plug it back in at the switch and verify the connection
lights on the network card come back on.