[jcifs] name resolving

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 00:45:45 GMT 2004

> > can we implement this rule in jcifs ?Which java class should I change ?
>
> I think it would be problematic to even determine what your subnet mask
> is. Look at:
>
> jcifs/netbios/NameServiceClient.java:getByName
> jcifs/netbios/NameServicePacket.java:readResourceRecordWireFormat
>
> and try to determine why the ssnLimit doesn't achive what you want.

You could possibly bitwise-or jcifs.netbios.baddr with
jcifs.smb.client.laddr, then with each of the target IPs to see which
one matches.  I'm still not clear on what the original poster's issue
is, though, unless the other address (the one jCIFS is selecting) is
unreachable from the client.

It sounds like (just restating for clarification and verification)
that a multihomed client is registering two IP addresses in WINS under
the same name (10.6.2.70 and 147.204.20.105).  jCIFS always selects
"147.204.20.105", whereas Win2k clients always select "10.6.2.70".
The issue (I guess) is that 147.204.20.105 cannot be reached from the
client, causing jCIFS to be unable to connect.  Is this a correct
assessment Alex?

Eric