[jcifs] A question about davenport

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Sep 6 18:54:09 GMT 2004

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:49:33 +0200
Jaume Moral <jaumem at fib.upc.es> wrote:
> And now, the problem. We access to the root folder
>
>     https://ourserver/davenport/ourdomain/
>
> and we can see the public shares, "myaccount" folder .. and
> "otheraccount" folder!
>
> Why? We don't have access to this folder and when we try to access it,
> we get an exception. It seems that the access is cached, but it never
> succeed.
>
> Any ideas? Is it a bug or a feature?

The ourdomain server is a Samba server right? This is a sort of a collision
between JCIFS and Samba. JCIFS reuses transports (socket connections) to
conserve resources. But with Samba if you access different user's drives and
then list all available user drives you will see all user drives that were
dynamically on that existing transport. You should not have access to them
without the proper credentials but you'll see them.

You could jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit = 1 to force only one transport per user
but that will greatly curtail scalability.

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.