[jcifs] authentication against workgroup & not domain possible?

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 15:14:09 GMT 2004

Please copy the list in replies also.

> Thanks for your reply Eric. What you said works... somewhat. I'm getting
> odd behaviour:
> "stefaan" is a user on my machine and his password is "".
>
> auth = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication("", "stefaan", "");               works
> auth = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication("", "stefaan", "asdfasdf");      throws a SmbAuthException
> auth = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication("", "asdfasdf", "asdfasfd");      works
>
> The first two seems logical, the last does not. Also other non-existing account details do not throw a SmbAuthException!
>
> Is it maybe defaulting to a guest account? What am I missing?

Quite possibly; you could disable the Guest account on the machine in
question to see (I think you can also set the password on Guest, and
then any mapped accounts would need to authenticate with that
password).  What version of jCIFS are you using?  I believe Mike put
in something to throw an exception when this happens (i.e. disallow
guest completely).

Eric