[jcifs] Installing windows services

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Sat Nov 27 08:41:57 GMT 2004

Srivatsan P said:
> Hi,
>
> I need to install/control Windows Services, access
> Windows Registry from Linux using java.
>
> On reading the previous mails in the mailing list
> archives, I found that it is possible to do so using
> jarapac, midlc, etc.

Not really. The code is pretty solid but it's still *highly experimental*
and requires a significant amount of knowledge about stuff that you should
not need to know. Eventually there will be nice user friendly APIs for
doing this stuff but at the moment we only have some basic test programs
for srvsvc (service control manager) and a few other interfaces (no winreg
at the moment).

> First I did a make of libmba (0.8.10) and then did a
> 'make install'
> Then I tried to make midlc (0.5.1). But the header
> files(mda/*.h) of libmba were not available to the
> compiler and so it generated compilation error.

You didn't install libmba properly. Doing 'make' changing to root and
running 'make install' should install the library in
/usr/local/{lib,include}.

> The README file for midlc says that libmba home needs
> to be set in the Makefile's first line (I changed
> prefix='libmba home dir').
> Even then, the header files were not available to the
> compiler.

You shouldn't have to change anything. By default libmba installs in
/usr/local/{lib,include} and that is where midlc looks for it by default.
Meaning the prefix on the first line of each Makefile is '/usr/local'.

> So I moved the header files(mba/*.h)  to
> /usr/include/mba/

Ick.

> Then I tried to make midlc again. I think all files
> were compiled but I got the following error:
>
> gcc -Wall -W -g -O2 -DMSGNO -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmba

Yeah, well the library wasn't installed properly so that's to be expected.

Eventually we will have nice easy to use APIs that are precompiled and so
on. Otherwise you have to be pretty knowledgeable about MSRPC and some
lower level stuff to make it work which isn't easy to explain in an email.
That discussion would really deserve an entire tutorial.