[jcifs] Re: Abstract File(File, SmbFile) and enhanced Servlet application

Rolf Breuning Rolf.Breuning at t-online.de
Mon May 31 14:01:10 GMT 2004

Hello Allen,
Hello Eric,

for some peculiar reason I had problems with my mail account in April.
Thus I did not get Eric's proposal for using the Proxy class :-(

My own implementation was a bit too large for the mailing list, so it
can be found on
   http://www.rolfbreuning.de/jcifs_abstractfile/
It is of course not as generic and self-expanding for new methods as
Eric's and only handles a subset of the file interface.
It tries to handle both files and SMBfiles identical as possible.

One problem here seems to me files which do not yet exist:
An SmbFile with a trailing "/" is always handled as a directory. At
least on my windows machine, if I create a java File Object with a
trailing "\", this trailing "\" is removed from the File's path by the
constructure fs.normalize() method. So if you create and SmbFile object,
you always know from the name if it is to be a directory, and for a
usual File object, you do not know this.

Regards

  Rolf