[jcifs] Dealing with simultaneous users in a Win2k3 environment

Michael Kerley michael at enkoo.com
Fri Mar 19 21:02:56 GMT 2004

Thanks for the quick reply.

> > 1. new SmbFile("smb://").listFiles()  --> Fails (expected because no
> > authentication was given)
>
> Actually I don't recall ever seeing this fail. All systems that I work
> with use null credentials to get the list of domains. Maybe Win2k3 changed
> that. Donno. What was the error?

I think Win2k3 did change it.  Here's what I'm seeing:

jcifs.smb.SmbException: Unverifiable signature.
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:681)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:138)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:102)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:125)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:580)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:550)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.list(SmbFile.java:1149)
        at List.main(List.java:36)

(List.java is not the same one included in the jCIFS examples)

The only time I ever see "Unverifiable signature" is when I try to do
something in this Win2k3 environment.  It appears everywhere that I would
expect to see some sort of SmbAuthException.  I also see it if I try to get
a list of computers within a domain, or a list of shares on a computer (or
any listing at all, for that matter).

If I call SmbFile.getType(), that works fine.  I haven't tried copying any
files or anything more "elaborate" than SmbFile.listFiles()/SmbFile.list()
yet.

Michael