[jcifs] credentials while accessing the file on localhost

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Mar 1 07:21:39 GMT 2004

Naved Khan said:
> Sorry to continue this thread. I'm not quite getting why I need the
> username/password to access a shared folder on my local machine...why do I
> get "access denied" when I try to access a shared file in the following
> way:
> // naved - local machine
> SmbFile smbFile = new SmbFile("smb://naved/shared/test.dat");
> boolean exists = smbFile.exists();
>
> However I can access the same folder without providing username/password
> either through windows explorer or using net use.
>
> Is it that we always have to provide the username/password in SmbFile even
> while accessing a local shared folder? Or am I missing something here?
> Please clarify.

JCIFS makes no distinction between a local or remove SMB resource.

If credentials are not supplied the client will use the user "GUEST"
without a password.

Have you tried smb://user:@server, smb://:@server, smb://user@server, ...?

Do you use a username to log into your machine?

What happens if you set your password and use that with JCIFS?