[jcifs] Access DFS root shares

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Jun 3 22:16:18 GMT 2004

Steve Foster said:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Heres the capture of \\<ip>\staff

Well this capture has a successful DFS referral to \<ip>\staff so that
would seem to be at odds with the other capture where the tree connect to
\\<ip>\STAFF failed with "Network name not found".

Unfortunately the capture didn't quite get everything. There's no tree
connect to \\<ip>\STAFF and thus no STATUS_PATH_NOT_COVERED response that
triggers the DFS referral. That's probably because once a MS client gets a
referral it remembers it until the machine is rebooted. Can you reboot the
machine and *then* access \\<ip>\staff? You would have to make certain the
machine didn't remap the drive automatically after the reboot.

Otherwise the differences that I see are that the second capture uses port
445 rather than 139 and there are a few extended security negotiations
from other clients. We don't support either of those features but I don't
think that should matter too much.

I really need a complete capture and a capture of the analygous operation
from jCIFS or I really don't have anyting to go on.