[jcifs] Reg. NTLM Authentication

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 2 14:52:10 GMT 2004

>  I have to write a stand alone program
>  to verify that a given user name/password is valid in
>
>  a domain  using ntlm protocol
>
>  For this do I have to write both
>  client side (for sending type 1 and 3 messages)
>  and server side(for type 2 message) code?
>
>  I think that will be not difficult.
>
>  But in that case how does server respond to a type 3
>  message

Define "standalone"; are you using jCIFS?  If so, and you just need to
authenticate the credentials, you can do:

    public boolean auth(String domain, String user, String password)
            throws IOException {
        NtlmPasswordAuthentication auth =
                new NtlmPasswordAuthentication(domain, user, password);
        UniAddress dc = UniAddress.getByName(domain, true);
        try {
            SmbSession.logon(dc, auth);
            return true;
        } catch (SmbAuthException) { }
        return false;
    }

This authenticates the provided credentials against a domain controller
for the specified domain.  Do you actually need to pass the NTLM tokens back
and forth as part of a protocol?  If so, the protocol determines how the
server and client process the tokens.  For HTTP, for example, a
401-Unauthorized status is reported to the client.  For SMB, you get a wire
exception (reported in jCIFS as the SmbAuthException seen above).

Does this answer your question?

Eric