[jcifs] socket connection timed out error under load

Jonas Partner jpartner at smartner.com
Wed Jul 28 14:12:25 GMT 2004

>>Does it happen consistently with all servers?
yes although I am only able to test shares on win 2000 service pack 4 servers
and XP pro workstations

>>The sample program works ok for me although it is a little intense.
>>Perhaps the VM memory is so low after a while trying to create a socket
>>fails?
I have tried varying the vm memory between the default and 512mb this does not
seem to make any noticeable difference the problem still occurs after roughly
the same period of time and number of requests although this is variable
according to the intensity of the requests.  I have also tried putting in
sizeable sleeps to see if that had any difference however the problem still
occurs eventually.

>>Can you narrow the down the problem to make it a little more
>>reproduceable? Or can you time it well enough that you can get a
>>reasonably sized packet capture?

If have spent some time using ethereal to look at the packets no errors
are reported in any of the request's or responses.  I have also compared
this to a win 32 C# app carrying out a similar series of requests and
the responses look the same however no error's occur.

Does that leave us back with the possible synchronization issue ?

Jonas Partner

The below is the whole stack

jcifs.smb.SmbException: An error occured sending the request.
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at jcifs.netbios.NbtSocket.<init>(NbtSocket.java:60)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ensureOpen(SmbTransport.java:275)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:600)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:856)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:119)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:798)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:768)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.sendTransaction(SmbFile.java:630)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doFindFirstNext(SmbFile.java:1670)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1561)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.listFiles(SmbFile.java:1469)