[jcifs] JCIFS Windows vs Linux

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Mon Jul 26 17:47:43 GMT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:19:47 +0000 (UTC)
Al <apotti at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's my first time using JCIFS, and I've come up with a problem that I
> have no clue on how to attack. I'm running JCIFS in conjunction with
> Tomcat to perform NTLM authentication on a bunch of servlets (on my
> webapp). I installed the jar file and modified the web.xml files as
> indicated in the docs, and booted the webapp with the filter mapped to my
> webapp. Here is my filter config in the web.xml:
>

> <filter>
>     <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
>     <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
>
>     <init-param>
>         <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
>         <param-value>***</param-value>
>     </init-param>
>     <init-param>
>         <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
>         <param-value>***</param-value>
>     </init-param>
> </filter>

I presume you have a filter-mapping section? Also domainController and
domain properties are mutially exclusive (but I don't think that's the
problem).

> With the stars being actual values (covered for security purposes, blah)
> and the filter works with the Windows machine (it connects to the domain
> and authenticates me and posts me as the user. So I installed the same
> thing on the Linux machine. Same webapp, same config files, same
> everything, just different server. However, when I use the EXACT same
> filter mapping with the Linux box, it just crashes. No exception report,
> no errors caught in any of the log files, nothing. All I get is a dead
> "page cannot be displayed".

Get a packet capture and see what sort of traffic there is:

  http://jcifs.samba.org/capture.html

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.