[jcifs] No response to NTLM challenge

Steven.Durkin at scotland.gsi.gov.uk Steven.Durkin at scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Mon Jul 26 12:51:32 GMT 2004

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hello all,

I am trying to fix a problem that has occurred with NTLM authentication
on one of our Intranet systems, and I need help!

The authentication is failing on every attempt. Looking at the exchanges
between the client and the server, the first thing that leaps out is
that the Client never responds correctly to the server challenge - I am
always seeing the following pattern:
C --> S   GET ...
C <-- S   401 WWW-Authenticate: NTLM...
C --> S   GET ... NTLM NEGOTIATE (Type 1)
C <-- S   401 WWW-Authenticate: NTLM CHALLENGE (Type 2)
C --> S   GET ...
C <-- S   401 WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

The last GET from the client is the same as the first - in other words,
no Type 3 response to the server's challenge is ever sent.

The browser was upgraded to IE 6 at the time of the failure, but we have
another system on out intranet that uses an M$ IIS server with  NTLM
authentication that works fine: so I have upgraded the JCIFS classes and
concentrated my efforts on the server-side settings. For info, here is
the filter description from my web.xml.

    <filter>
        <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>

        <!-- For production use a real domain controller -->
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
            <param-value>SCOTLAND</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
            <param-value>10.10.132.98</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility</param-name>
            <param-value>2</param-value>
        </init-param>

    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

I have tried different settings to no avail: for example setting
jcifs.netbios.wins instead of http.domainController; or using my PC as
the domainController. But I have not seen a change either in the pattern
of the exchanged messages, or even in the content.

I would really appreciate any help on what could be causing this! If I
am writing to the wrong list then any suggestions on other sources of
help would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Steve D

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Energis in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free