[jcifs] The network name cannot be found error

Eric Glass eric.glass at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 08:45:16 GMT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:34:27 -0400 (EDT), Michael B Allen
<mba2000 at ioplex.com> wrote:
> Pitre, Russell said:
> > Hello All-
> >
> > We are using the jcifs filter for our intranet authentication.  It's
> > been working great, but all of sudden this afternoon we started seeing
> > the error you see below.  Nothing has change with the intranet code.  We
> > are using 2000 Active Directory and Tomcat 5.0.24.  I'm pretty sure the
> > error is coming the Domain Controller but I'm not entirely sure what to
> > look for.  I went through the event logs but have not found anything
> > that stands out.  Any ideas?
>
> This means that share jCIFS is trying to access was not found. By default
> jCIFS tries to connect to IPC$. If you view the domain controller in
> Network Neighborhood what happends? Do you see IPC$ listed?

IPC$ is often not displayed when browsing in Network Neighborhood (may
depend on client OS); you could try the following:

import jcifs.Config;
import jcifs.smb.SmbFile;

public class ListShares {

        Config.setProperty("jcifs.smb.client.username", args[0]);
        Config.setProperty("jcifs.smb.client.password", args[1]);
        SmbFile[] shares = new SmbFile("smb://172.20.95.14/").listFiles();
        for (int i = 0; i < shares.length; i++) {
            System.out.println(shares[i]);
        }
    }

}

Stick your jCIFS parameters from web.xml into a .properties file, and run:

    java -Djcifs.properties=myparams.properties ListShares username password

If "smb://172.20.95.14/IPC$/" is listed, then everything should be
working; if you get errors, or IPC$ isn't listed, that may point to
your problem.

Eric