[jcifs] The network name cannot be found error

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Thu Jul 22 01:34:27 GMT 2004

Pitre, Russell said:
> Hello All-
>
> We are using the jcifs filter for our intranet authentication.  It's
> been working great, but all of sudden this afternoon we started seeing
> the error you see below.  Nothing has change with the intranet code.  We
> are using 2000 Active Directory and Tomcat 5.0.24.  I'm pretty sure the
> error is coming the Domain Controller but I'm not entirely sure what to
> look for.  I went through the event logs but have not found anything
> that stands out.  Any ideas?

This means that share jCIFS is trying to access was not found. By default
jCIFS tries to connect to IPC$. If you view the domain controller in
Network Neighborhood what happends? Do you see IPC$ listed?

> ERROR:
>
> jcifs.smb.SmbException: The network name cannot be found.
<snip, snip>
> WEB.XML:
>
> 	<filter>
>         <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>
>         <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
>
> 		<init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.http.domainController</param-name>
>             <param-value>172.20.95.14</param-value>
>         </init-param>
> 		<init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
>             <param-value>SHAWMUT</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
>             <param-value>172.20.95.14</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.netbios.baddr</param-name>
>             <param-value>255.255.255.255</param-value>
>         </init-param>

This baddr property is useless as it is '255.255.255.255' by default.
Otherwise the web.xml looks good. If nothing else has changed on your side
I'd guess the domain controller has changed somehow.