[jcifs] Issue listing "smb://"

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jul 14 22:44:51 GMT 2004

Eric Glass said:
> Mike,
>
> Do you have any thoughts on this (i.e., does it seem to be a
> reasonable approach)?  I'm still not convinced that I'm not just doing
> something wrong myself (although I've checked my broadcast address,
> etc., and everything *seems* to be correct).  But asking the
> jcifs.smb.client.domain controller (if specified) for the list seems
> like an appropriate fallback, since otherwise you would just get an
> UnknownHostException listing "smb://".

But I don't think a domain controller is necessarily an authority for
browser protocol information. What reasons do we have to believe that you
did not just "lucked out" in getting a machine that happend to have useful
information? What does Windows NT or Windows 98 do? I would rather stick
to observed behavior if we have a choice.