[jcifs] Issue listing "smb://"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jul 14 17:03:32 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:56:05AM -0400, Eric Glass wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Do you have any thoughts on this (i.e., does it seem to be a
> reasonable approach)?  I'm still not convinced that I'm not just doing
> something wrong myself (although I've checked my broadcast address,
> etc., and everything *seems* to be correct).  But asking the
> jcifs.smb.client.domain controller (if specified) for the list seems
> like an appropriate fallback, since otherwise you would just get an
> UnknownHostException listing "smb://".

It is correct, and possibly even neccessary.  If the clients are all in
"P" mode then the *only* way they can get a browse list is via the DMB.

There are other games that can be played here as well.  If the WINS server
is a Samba server it will respond to a query for *<1B> by returning a list
of all known DMBs.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org