[jcifs] Re: jcifs versions

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Jan 7 00:43:37 GMT 2004

> I am currently using jcifs filter and it works great except for the
> occassional stack  trace of the closed socket connection.
>
> Currently I use jcifs 0.7.3 which has a link from the filter page.
>
> While reading through the list I found that some of the later versions
> where supposed to have corrected the issue of stack trace.
>
> But my problem is that the latest versions both 0.8.0b and 0.7.17  does
> not work in my environment because of packet signing issues.(We have a
> Windows 2003 server which has packet signing turned on to REQUIRED).
>
> Is there a way I can get the latest versions to work for the NTLM
> authentication with the Win2003 server which requires packet signing...?
>
> Is there a version that does not spit out the stack trace but has no
> issues with signing?..

Prior to jCIFS 0.7.13 there is no support for signing. So how are you using 0.7.3
if your Windows 2003 server is configured to require signing? Is it possible that
it does not require signing? Is it possible that you are really authenticating
against a different server? JCIFS will only use signing if the server requires it
or if jcifs.smb.client.signingPreferred is explicitly set to true. Also, signing
and NTLM HTTP Authentication do NOT work together because the original password or
precursor password hash is required to generate the MAC signing key. So I am very
interested in how you managed to get a version of jCIFS that doesn't support SMB
signing at all to work with your Windows 2003 server that requires it! Perhaps you
could take a packet capture of your current working setup with jcifs-0.7.3 and
verify that the server is really requiring signing.

  http://users.erols.com/mballen/jcifs/capture.html

Mike

PS: Please send all messages to the jCIFS mailing list.

--
A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are