[jcifs] Problems with certain clients using NTLM filter

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 13:26:46 GMT 2004

> Eric, many thanks. What are the drawbacks to option 2... that is, why isn't it
> the default?

Compatibility with pre-Windows NT Service Pack 4 boxes.  Probably not a
concern anymore (at least I hope not), but would have been when this setting
was introduced.  It's actually kind of surprising that they haven't started
defaulting it to "3" (send LMv2/NTLMv2, accept anything); I'm guessing they
just want to avoid complaints from people with really old domain controllers
(although that didn't stop them from requiring SMB signing by default with
Win2k3).

Eric