[jcifs] Re: davenport

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Feb 10 16:50:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 12:10:21AM +0100, Heupink, Mourik Jan C. wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Basically, I need to apologise....
>
> The problem is NOT jcifs related at all. I see exactly the same machines via
> jcifs as in the network neighbourhood, so there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong
> with jcifs. Stupid me, stupid me.

No, the problem is that the Browse Service is a very messy thing.  It
takes time to learn how it works.  It rarely works as expected.

See:  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/Browsing.html

> The problem is that I usually use unc's, and don't browse the network
> neighbourhood so much... therefore I never noticed that some machines didn't
> show up.

I figured.  ...but only because I seen it myself many times.

It's an interesting system, if you've got the time to learn how it works.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org