[jcifs] CVS question

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Dec 17 17:20:05 GMT 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 03:59:21AM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> I was thinking about updating the jarapac CVS respository. If I simply do an
> 'update' will that leave all the old directories and files that have been
> removed? Also, 'update' does seem to add new files. What is the command to
> just sync everything up so the directory that I run the command in is
> replicated in CVS?

The 'cvs update' command brings any changes in the repository down to your
system.  If we were both working on the code and I made a change, doing an
update would add my changes to your checked-out copy.

You do have a checked-out copy, yes?  ...or did you simply copy the files
to your system?

Once you've got a checked-out copy, you can make any changes you want to
the files.  To store them back in the repository, you use 'cvs commit'.
CVS then prompts you for comments (so others can know what you did and
why).

If you are creating new files for the repository, you use 'cvs add' to let
CVS know that you've got new stuff.  Then use 'cvs commit' to actually add
them to the central repository.

There's a learning curve with CVS.  I hated it at first as well.  Once I
got used to it, however, I started using it for everything.  There are
people who keep their entire home directories in CVS.  Doing so provides
history, backup, and the ability to replicate the environment on another
machine.  It's annoying to set up and learn, but it's really usefull once
you've got the hang of it.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org