[jcifs] Alert: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException with jcifs-1.1.3

Johan Danforth johandanforth at bredband.net
Wed Dec 15 10:30:36 GMT 2004

Hi, we just went live on our intranet with a new portal, and it went fine for
an hour or so, then all new visitors started to get these:

Error 500--Internal Server Error
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.getChallengeForDomain(SmbSession.java:94)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:123)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter
(FilterChainImpl.java:27)
	at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run
(WebAppServletContext.java:6354)
	at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs
(AuthenticatedSubject.java:317)
	at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs
(SecurityManager.java:118)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet
(WebAppServletContext.java:3635)
	at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute
(ServletRequestImpl.java:2585)
	at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
	at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)

The web.xml configuration for jcifs filter looks like this:

	<filter>
		<filter-name>PortalFilter</filter-name>
		<filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
		<!-- The hostname of the domain controller to use -->
		<init-param>
			<param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
			<param-value>x.x.x.x,x.x.x.x</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
			<param-value>xxxxx</param-value>
		</init-param>
		<init-param>
			<param-name>jcifs.util.loglevel</param-name>
			<param-value>2</param-value>
		</init-param>
	</filter>

Some numbers and names replaced with 'x', but I guess you get the meaning.

We had to revert to an old jcifs version now (0.8.3) and point directly at one
of our domain controlers. That old version has worked well with our previous
version of the portal.

Any idea for the reason for this? Seems that it works fine as long as you have
a low number of users. I think we passed 150 concurrent users or so, then
things crashed...