[jcifs] Re: How to get jCIFS to always prompt for username and passsword?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Dec 15 07:30:01 GMT 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:59:02 +0000 (UTC)
Marko <marko.krejic at enovation.se> wrote:

> But if I would like to control it from server-side? Is that possible?

Well IE will present the Network Password Dialog whenever authentication
fails. So you could hack the filter to make it look like authentication
failed (might just be a matter of NOT returning the type-2-message in the
second response) just to trigger the NPD but then accept subsequent
negotiations. So you need to do a bait and switch. You would really need to
familarize yourself with the NTLM HTTP protocol [1] and use a packet sniffer
to observe how your changes to the filter affect the behavior of IE.

Mike

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html#proto

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.