[jcifs] No response from IE

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Dec 14 19:35:55 GMT 2004

CCing the list in case someone else has something to add.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:34:16 +0530
Vineet Gera <vineetg at pramati.com> wrote:

> I am sending the tcpdump for both the cases as an attachment....please
> dont look for HTTP protocol instead look for tcp.port==8181 as filter in
> ethereal....
> in Firefox file you would see that a request is made by the browser,
> which is turned down and the browser is asked to authenticate...when
> login and password are provided the browser is able to access the
> required page
> while in IE when the browser makes a request it is asked to authenticate
> and it hangs there...please comment
> Thx

Not much. Both captures look mostly the same:

C: HTTP GET /OrderAppWeb
S: Error 403 Unauthorized
   WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

This is normal but 3 seconds later the web server closes the connection
which is not normal. The client should then do:

C: HTTP GET /OrderAppWeb
   WWW-Authenticate: NTLM <base64encodeddata>

I do see some jCIFS traffic in the Firefox capture but it is unrelated
to the HTTP request in it. Some of the requests are pretty spread out
though. For example the SMB negotiate request is at 57.052 but the
SMB session setup is at 60.452. That's a looooong time. Is the server
overloaded?

What is your http server, container, server os, etc...

Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.