[jcifs] jcifs/jarapac errors trying to get apolicy_handle/SCmanager connection

Jean-Baptiste Marchand Jean-Baptiste.Marchand at hsc.fr
Sun Dec 5 22:18:10 GMT 2004

* Michael B Allen <mba2000 at ioplex.com> [27/11/04 - 10:01]:

> Marcus Crafter said:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Hope all is going well.
> >
> > We've been doing some work with the jcifs/jarapac libraries, attempting
> > to connect to get a policy_handle via the SC manager on two particular
> > hosts, and are coming up with the following errors, different on each
> > system:
> >
> > Received connection exception (Unable to find suitable provider for
> > "ncacn_np:10.200.9.107[\PIPE\svcctl]".)
>
> So is it exported by the end point mapper? I don't know how to check that
> in windows but there are tools that will list everything exported by the
> end point mapper like this rpcdump utility:
>
> http://www.bindview.com/Support/RAZOR/Utilities/Windows/rpctools1.0-readme.cfm

RPC services listening on the ncacn_np transport (named pipes, using
SMB/CIFS) are typically not exported in the endpoint mapper database
because you can directly bind to the RPC service using the appropriate
named pipe name.

In this example, opening \pipe\svcctl and binding at the DCE RPC level
to the SVCCTL interface is enough to reach the SCM RPC interface.

In rpcdump outputs, you'll sometimes see RPC services listening on
ncacn_np but this is a side-effect of Microsoft implementation of DCE
RPC, as explained at the bottom of this page:

http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/articles/win_net_srv/ch04s11s03.html

Jean-Baptiste Marchand
Jean-Baptiste.Marchand at hsc.fr
HSC - http://www.hsc.fr/