[jcifs] Exception: More data is available (GroupManagement.netGroupEnum())

Rob cnei at usa.net
Sun Dec 5 14:27:39 GMT 2004

Hi there, my task is very simple: Enumerate Windows Groups and Users
from Java.  jCIFS-ext could make it very, very easy to do.

Using jCIFS-ext, I can get the User Enumeration with 3 lines of code
(not including setup):

    NtlmPasswordAuthentication auth = new
NtlmPasswordAuthentication(domain, userid, passwd);
    UserManagement umgt = new UserManagement(ip, auth);
    UserInfo[] uiArray = umgt.netUserEnum(1);

This works great (though I don't know what the "1" is for).
Now, when I try the similar methods for enumerating groups:

    GroupManagement gmgt = new GroupManagement(ip, auth);
    GroupInfo[] giArray = gmgt.netGroupEnum(1);

I get a 0-length GroupInfo array when running against a domain client, or a
"More data is available" exception when running against the domain
controller.

I've tried setting lmCompatibility to 3 with no luck, and I'm at a loss as
to what I should try next.

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

        -rob