[jcifs] jCIFS breaks posts to ASP pages

eglass1 at comcast.net eglass1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 14:42:25 GMT 2004

> We are having reports that our ASP applications no longer function and I
> have discovered that the cause is jCIFS in some way. The parts of the ASPs
> that do not work are form posts (so form logins mainly). No form parameters
> are being passed.
>
> I was able to get to a point where I could run the ASPs successfully and
> this was when I visited the ASP after opening a fresh IE window. However,
> when visiting our jCIFS web application and THEN going to the ASP
> application it failed with empty request form parameters.
>
> I printed the http headers in the ASP test and the addition of
> HTTP_AUTHORISATION:NTLM is the only difference.

This is the issue I was referring to in response to the previous post:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2004-April/003298.html

Basically, if you have an NTLM-protected resource *anywhere* on a particular
server, Internet Explorer will require re-authentication before sending
POST parameters to that server -- even sections that *aren't* NTLM-protected.
There's a blurb about this here:

http://www.websina.com/bugzero/kb/browser-ie.html

This is an Internet Explorer "feature", and isn't related to jCIFS; once you
visit an NTLM page on a site, subsequent POSTs to anything on that site will
be empty until the NTLM handshake is successfully completed.

You can "trick" IE into dropping the NTLM requirement by sending a 401 or
403 response; see this:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2004-February/003060.html

Eric