[jcifs] FW: NTLM Authentication with jCIFS in Cactus

mike.raath at barclayscapital.com mike.raath at barclayscapital.com
Thu Apr 15 15:46:37 GMT 2004

> Apologies for contacting you directly but as you are the authors of jCIFS
> class I thought you might have some ideas about something that's giving me
> a lot of grief.
>
> I use jCIFS to provide NTLM authentication in an application I'm writing -
> strictly all I need NTLM for is to provide the NT user name of the user -
> this is for a corporate intranet app.
>
> As NTLM involves a 3-way negotiation this is all handled behind the scenes
> by jCIFS/the browser. However, Cactus does not do the same negotiation. I
> have tried to write my own NTLMAuthentication along the lines of Cactus'
> BasicAuthentication class but have discovered that I can't do it because
> of the challenge key generated by the server. As a result I can't run any
> tests with the jCIFS filter active.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how I can get Cactus to interact with jCIFS and
> overcome this?
>
> Mike Raath
> Reference Data
>
> Ext: 32520
> Tel: +44 (0) 20 7773 2520
> Fax:+44 (0) 20 7773 1931
> Mob:+44 (0) 7796 938024
> 3rd Floor, 5 North Colonnade, London E14 4BB
>
> Reference Data Hotline: from London, dial 36888, elsewhere dial 8773 6888

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays
Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message.  Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes,
it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is
caused by viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are
Barclays Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays
Group for operational or business reasons.