[jcifs] SmbAuthException The user is not allowed to access thisserver fr om this client

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Sep 26 11:03:57 EST 2003

>> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: The user is not allowed to access this
>> server
>> from this client
>>
>> I guess there is differences in how accounts' setup, but i have no idea
>> what
>> it is.
>> Anybody have an idea?
>>

> I'm just taking a stab at this (Mike or Chris would be better qualified to
> answer definitively) but try setting:
>
> jcifs.netbios.hostname
>
> to a "real" hostname; otherwise jCIFS will dynamically create a hostname.
> It
> may be that the account is configured only to be able to log in from a
> specific set of hosts.  Again, I'm just guessing, but is seems
> quasi-logical ;)

Good guess but I actually don't know either. There could be a standard
check or the criteria for choosing valid clients might be customizable. If
there's any weight behind having such a policy in the first place I doubt
changing the NetBIOS name would actually allow you to circumvent it. It
could be that only clients logged into the domain via NETLOGON are
permitted access. In this case jCIFS will simply not work at all.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.