[jcifs] jcifs and IIS

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 10:22:13 EST 2003

Kandaswami, Subramaniam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having IIS as my web server and weblogic as my application server.
> NTLM has already been setup with IIS. Now I want to use the
> NetworkExplorer so that the end users can access network folders based
> on the NT privileges. The NetworkExplorer however does not seem to work.
> It keeps prompting me for a password.
>
> Please let me know what would be the best way to implement this. Any
> help would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Subu

IIS and NetworkExplorer are (generally) mutually exclusive; this is
definitely true if you have IIS set up to enforce NTLM authentication.
NetworkExplorer will perform its own NTLM authentication against the
domain controller.  You can try to set IIS to perform *no*
authentication (allowing the NetworkExplorer servlet to do it instead),
but recent posts have indicated problems with this approach (IIS tends
to "hijack" the NTLM authentication process, even when it is configured
not to use NTLM).

Your best bet would be to use Weblogic's own webserver on another port,
and run NetworkExplorer on that.

Eric