[jcifs] NtlmPasswordAuthentication class not serializable

Eric eglass1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 9 08:45:48 EST 2003

Greg Taylor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're using jCIFS for NTLM authentication in a clustered Weblogic setup.  We
> would like to enable in-memory session replication, but that causes an
> exception to be thrown when NtlmHttpFilter attempts to put an
> NtlmPasswordAuthentication instance into the session (NtlmHttpAuth).  I
> believe the class should implement Serializable to avoid this problem for
> clustered apps with failover enabled.  Not sure of the possibilities for
> marking any of the attributes transient.  Any possibility of this being
> included in a release in the near future?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Taylor.

We discussed this a bit a little while back:

http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/jcifs/2003-August/002500.html

I don't see any real issues in making the class serializable (although
semantically it really isn't).  It would get rid of the errors you're
seeing.  I'll do some testing, but it should be fairly harmless.

Eric