[jcifs] Connection reset

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Fri Nov 14 10:57:51 EST 2003

> Hello Michael,
>
> MBA> You might try different values for
> MBA> jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit and see if it
> MBA> has any effect though. Let us know what you find.
>
> I try to set wide range of values for this parameter but without success.
> Exception message still appears in log.
>
> How can I help you to discover this annoyance?
> I can send debug logs to list if you want.
> How can i find more useful information for you? (Point me please to
> documentation)

Send me a snipplet from the log directly. The BEST way to see whats going
on however is to get a packet capture from the machine from which jCIFS is
running using Ethereal if you're using Unix/Linux or NetMon if you're
using Windows. Of course you'll have to time it so that you get one of
these errant events. Send any captures to me directly as they may contain
sensitive information about your network.

> BTW
> Documentation says
> ---
> NON will not print anything to the console including
> exceptions
> ---
> I set in web.xml
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>jcifs.util.log</param-name>
>             <param-value>NON</param-value>
>         </init-param>
> But jcifs lib write to log all the same.

Near as I can tell that should work. Unless the exceptions are being
thrown all the way up out of the jCIFS classes. Or maybe you didn't
restart something enough to reinitialize the Log mask. But I don't
recommend that anyway because it could mask a real problem. If you really
want to stop that specific Log message you can comment out that line in
jcifs/src/smb/SmbTransport.java around line 500:

                    // it's a request(break oplock)
                }
}
            } catch( InterruptedIOException iioe ) {
                if( responseTable.size() == 0 ) {
                    tryClose( false );
                } else {
                    Log.println( Log.WARNINGS, "smb warning",
                                " soTimeout has occured but there are " +
                                responseTable.size() + " pending requests" );
                }
            } catch( IOException ioe ) {
                tryClose( true );
I think it's this one --> Log.printStackTrace( "exception reading from
socket input: " + address, ioe );
            }
        }
    }

> PS
> Pardon me. There was the message with the same problem in this list
> recently.
> I've not seen it - I've just subscribe this maillist.
> I've tried to find in list by criteria 'reset' but subject of those
> message
> is 'rese t' :)

There were at least two other reports of this problem but no one has
followed through with packet captures. Search the JCIFS list archives on
gmane.org.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.