[jcifs] Hidden Files from listFiles()?

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue Nov 4 16:53:36 EST 2003

> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:08:27PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
>> I think I'm leaning toward case 2 just because jCIFS is more likely to
>> be
>> used to utilitarian purposes as opposed to casually perusing through
>> files
>> with the capacity to delete something by accident.
>
> I would tend toward leaving hidden files hidden.  Even in Unix you have to
> specifically ask to see the hidden files.  My gut reaction is that this is
> the path of least surprise.

Ok, well I could go either way with this and it's trivial to do it either
way. One more opinion would close the issue...

>> Have you ever noticed ATTR_READONLY and ATTR_ARCHIVE are basically
>> ignored
>> by TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2/NEXT2?
>
> No, but now I know to look for it.  :)
> Interesting how this stuff works (or doesn't).

Actually I'm not entirely positive about this. If those attributes are off
you still get read-only and hidden files so they appear to be ignored. It
would be interesting to try the TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2/NEXT2 with different
combinations of attributes to see if they had any effect though. You could
do this easily with jCIFS by editing Trans2FindFirst2.java. I would try it
but my current tree is laying all over the driveway at the moment -- if
you know what I mean.

A program should be written to  model the concepts of the task it
maximizes the  potential for it  to be applied  to tasks that are
conceptually similar and, more  important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.