[jcifs] Shared printersy

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Tue May 20 04:46:37 EST 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 eglass1 at attbi.com wrote:

> > I thought Apache.org had something that would create printer in a variety of
> > print formats.  Called FOP  Formatting Objects processor.
> > http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html#intro
> >

> FOP is an XSL-FO processor; assuming you have an XSL-FO representation of your
> document, you can use FOP to generate PostScript/PDF/PCL/txt etc. from it.
> XSL-FO is the underused "other half" of XSL (the popular half being XSLT);
> typically, you would transform an XML document into XSL-FO (using XSLT),
> then render your XSL-FO document using FOP (or XEP, or another XSL-FO processor)
> into whatever output is desired.
>
> It is certainly feasible to produce raw PostScript in Java; if we could get
> the printer stuff working, there could be some pretty cool uses for this.

I'll look at a printjob later but this FOP thing sounds like a major
headache. If I get printing working it's going to be RAW. Someone else
will have to figure out how to use it.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.