[jcifs] Shared printers

eglass1 at attbi.com eglass1 at attbi.com
Tue May 20 01:49:22 EST 2003

> I thought Apache.org had something that would create printer in a variety of
> print formats.  Called FOP  Formatting Objects processor.
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html#intro

FOP is an XSL-FO processor; assuming you have an XSL-FO representation of your
document, you can use FOP to generate PostScript/PDF/PCL/txt etc. from it.
XSL-FO is the underused "other half" of XSL (the popular half being XSLT);
typically, you would transform an XML document into XSL-FO (using XSLT),
then render your XSL-FO document using FOP (or XEP, or another XSL-FO processor)
into whatever output is desired.

It is certainly feasible to produce raw PostScript in Java; if we could get
the printer stuff working, there could be some pretty cool uses for this.

Eric