[jcifs] java.lang.NullPointerException at jcifs.UniAddress.lookupServerOr Workgroup

Rooij, Bas van basvan_rooij at merck.com
Mon Jun 23 22:45:00 EST 2003

Hello,

I'm getting the following error when using the NtlmHttpFilter (jcifs v
0.7.3) with Tomcat 4.1.12 on linux (Red Hat 8.0) and XP client desktops with
IE 6 SP1.
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at jcifs.UniAddress.lookupServerOrWorkgroup(UniAddress.java:184)
	at jcifs.UniAddress.getByName(UniAddress.java:258)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:87)
	at
FilterChain.java:213)
	at
ain.java:193)
This does work on the xp client environment where I developed the web
application. I have not much knowledge of networking technologie and
authetication protocols, so I just implemented this api according to the
documentation and it worked fine localy. But then I migrated it to our linux
test environment and I got this error (after we changed the resolving of the
local hostname by deleting 'nano').
The web.xml has the folowing specified:
<filter>
    <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
      <param-value>**.***.**.***</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
      <param-value>EUROPE</param-value>
    </init-param>
  </filter>
  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>NTLM HTTP Authentication Filter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
  </filter-mapping>

Can anyone tell what to do???????? My guess is that there is still something
not right in the way the linux server is configured or that I need to set
some other jcifs props.
Thanks!

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey,
USA) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and
have received this message in error, please immediately return this by
e-mail and then delete it.