[jcifs] new to jcifs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jul 31 08:35:00 EST 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:45:59PM +0000, rajeev shrestha wrote:
> Dear members:
>
> i came across the jcifs just today. my understanding about jcifs is that we
> can make a socket connection via NetBios protocol. this is exactly what i
> am looking for but i dont know how to start with it. i have the jcifs.jar
> file in my class path and is running fine.
>
> what i am trying to do is to write a simple client program that connects to
> a server running in NetBios protocol. is it possible to get a sample code
> for a server and a client so that i can understand whats goin on?

Um... Do you want NetBIOS or NetBEUI?  Do you want NetBIOS over TCP/IP?

See, NetBIOS is an API, not a protocol.

If you want to work with SMB/CIFS filesharing (Samba, etc.) then you're on
the right track.  If you are actually trying to use the NetBIOS API then
jCIFS may not have what you're looking for.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org