[jcifs] Quick SMB URL notes.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jan 8 06:56:52 EST 2003

I'm submitting a new draft today.

Some thoughts:

smb://?broadcast=192.168.11.6

The BROADCAST keyword is supposed to specify the broadcast domain to which
name queries will be sent.  In the case above, I've specified a unicast
address.  The result should be that the client will send a query to
192.168.11.6 for the __MSBROWSE__ name.  If the node is an LMB, it will
respond in the affirmative.  That should work.  :)

Likewise with:

smb://workgroup?broadcast=192.168.11.6

and

smb://server?broadcast=192.168.11.6

That's good.

The other thing is the SCOPEID keyword.  I am tempted to change the draft
so that it doesn't allow for

smb://netbiosname.scope.id

but instead requires

smb://netbiosname?scopeid=scope.id

That won't stop people from supporting the first format, though doing so
will encourage people to write URLs that way and that will break on
clients that don't support that format.  On the other hand, the use of
Scope is small so I don't think we'll see too much trouble from it.

Thoughts?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org