[jcifs] Re: [OT] Java Based Master Browser

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Feb 9 05:35:56 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 09:03:29AM -0500, Matthew Tippett wrote:
> What sort of effort is required?

To be honest, I don't know.  Here's what I can tell you:

1) We'd need to provide client-side NetBIOS name services.

   This would require a simple daemon listening on port 137.  If you want
   to have it talk to a WINS server then it would need a little more work
   but basically all it needs to do is announce names, respond to queries,
   and defend the names if some other device tries to claim them.  If your
   product is not a multi-homed host then you're in great shape.
   Multi-homed adds some work (again, not much).

2) We would need to figure out and implement the protocols used by the
   LMB.  This is the bigger part because I simply don't know (yet) how
   much trouble this is.  I had better know by the end of the month,
   though, because that's the deadline for my book and this *will* be
   covered.

3) None of the above should conflict with jCIFS operations as jCIFS is (at
   this point) strictly client code.  On the other hand, jCIFS routines
   could be used to build parts of this.  The building blocks are there.

There's a lot of "I don't know" in the above.  I do know that it's
do-able.  I don't know how much work it will be.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org