[jcifs] share name length,

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 8 07:32:22 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:34:56 -0600
"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale at UNISYS.com> wrote:

> > From: Christopher R. Hertel [mailto:crh at ubiqx.mn.org]
> > Subject: Re: [jcifs] share name length,
> >
> > That is only a query limit, though (at least I think so).
>
> Long names are effective on our Win2K and beyond Windows clients when
> accessing CIFS servers on similar boxes and our mainframes. This is all
> running port 445; have not tried it on 139. Older levels of Windows clients
> did have problems with names longer than 12 (not 13) characters. Don't
> remember if that was a 98 or an NT problem, and I have no idea which service
> pack.
>
> (Note that none of the above was using jCIFS.)

Everyone keeps saying 12 so I checked to make sure we weren't accedentally
chopping off the 13th or something. Turns out it's just for the '\0'
at the end. It would have been nice if MS added a NetShareEnum3 that
returned shares with say 16 character share names. That wouldn't have
been hard. Smells like passive agression. But then again the RAP still
can't do Unicode and it limited to 64k buffers.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.