[jcifs] RE: NetBIOS adapter status request

Michael B. Allen miallen at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 4 07:55:10 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:27:33 -0500
"Glass, Eric" <eric.glass at capitalone.com> wrote:

> That kind of confused me as well -- I specified the hostname, and it was
> able to do some sort of lookup to get the IP.  I specified "WINS" as the
> only resolution method for jCIFS, and we don't have DNS entries for these
> boxes.  It seems to have found the IP address (I'm guessing via the first
> method listed above), but fails to connect.

Well if you specify WINS then it will get the IP from WINS.

> Attached is the test program I was using (nbttest.java), along with some
> sample output.
>
> nbttest1.txt is the output when run against a host NOT running the "Server"
> service (it fails).
> nbtstat1.txt is the output of nbtstat -a for the same host ("nbtstat -a
> TEST1").
>
> nbttest2.txt is the output when run against a host that IS running the
> "Server" service (it succeeds).
> nbtstat2.txt is the output of nbtstat -a for that host ("nbtstat -a TEST2").
>
> Both boxes are Windows 2000.

I really need a pcap or at least a -Dlog=ALL dump. I'd need to see both
a capture of it working with nbtstat and one of jcifs failing on the
same target. Otherwise we're just needlessly guessing.

If I have to guess I would say there is a bug in jCIFS or a property
is triggering jCIFS to look for a <20> entry at some point.  If you
query by IP (nbttest 10.60.38.207) does it work? Also try taking out
the jcifs.netbios.wins property.

I'll look for such a host on my WAN and try to reproduce the issue.

A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are
conceptually  similar and, more important, to tasks that have not
yet been conceived.